Coconut Gelato Ice Cream Recipes
- 1 fresh coconut, (about 12 ounces)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened angel-flake coconut
- In a bowl, drain the coconut milk from the coconut grated. Boil the coconut milk over low heat for 20 minutes until syrup consistency obtained.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk and grated coconut boil for a moderate temperature. Allow to cool for an hour. Pour the mixture through cheesecloth lined sieve.
- Combine yolks, sugar in a bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream at medium high speed until thickens and gets pale yellow for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then keep the milk in simmer.
- Add half of warm milk to yolk mixture, whisk until blend. Then pour the new mixture into saucepan with remaining milk. Cook over low heat and stir constantly until the mixture thickens well and have a coat at the back of the wooden spoon.
- Remove saucepan from heat and immediately stir in cream. Pass the mixture through a sieve set over a medium bowl. Add coconut milk and cream of coconut.
- Freeze the mixture into ice cream maker as per the instruction of the manufacturer. Add some sweetened coconut flakes, mix in machine until combined.