Cream Varieties-> Ice Cream Cakes -> Football Shaped Ice Cream Cake
Football Shaped Ice Cream Cake
- 1 box (16 oz.) angel food cake mix
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
- 1 container (1.5 qt.) your favorite Breyers® Ice Cream
- 1 can (16 oz.) chocolate frosting
- 2 packages (.8 oz. ea.) white decorating gel
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. water (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. green food coloring (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°. Line 15-1/2 x 10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pan by parchment paper or aluminum foil; set aside.
- Merge cake mix with cocoa powder in large bowl. Arrange cake mix according to package directions; pour into prepared pan. Bake 22 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on wire rack.
- Run metal spatula around ends of cake to loosen; sift sugar onto cake. Invert onto clean kitchen towel; take away parchment paper. Trim off surplus cake, if required.
- Beginning at short end of cake, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, folding towel into cake; refrigerate 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Unroll cake on splitting board. Cut packet from Breyers® Ice Cream with scissors. Place Ice Cream on its side and cut crosswise into 8 slices. Arrange slices on cake leaving 2-inch border at one end of cake, pressing to form an equal layer. Roll cake up firmly, using towel to help roll cake; chill 3 hours or overnight. Freeze serving platter 30 minutes before serve.
- Eliminate towel from cake on cutting board. Cut off all 4 corners to form football shape with notched knife. Position cake on chilled serving platter; frost. Make use of white gel for "football threads".
- For "grass", mix up coconut, water and food coloring until coconut turns green in small resealable plastic bag; shower around cake. Return to freezer until ready to dish up.