Fruit Ice Creams » Orange Ice Cream Varieties » Orange Basil Ice Cream Recipe
Orange Basil Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean pod,
- 6 fresh large basil
leaves, coarsely torn or choppe Zest of ½
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the cream, vanilla, and basil to the pot.
- Gently warm the cream over the heat, but do not let it come to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat when the mixture is just coming to a simmer: you should see steam rising from the surface and small bubbles forming along the edges.
- Add the sugar and the orange zest, and stir until combined.
- Remove from the heat, set aside and allow the mixture to infuse while cooling to room temperature.
- Optional: Strain into a clean container.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until cold, or overnight.
- Stir the chilled mixture and then freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer ice cream to a container and freeze until solid, about 2 hours. Remove to the refrigerator to “cure” about 20 minutes before serving.
Related Fruit Ice Creams