- Finely grate 2 tablespoons zest from oranges, then halve oranges and squeeze enough juice to measure 1/2 cup.
- Discard oranges.
- Bring milk, 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon zest to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, then remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes.
- Beat together yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until thick and pale, about 1 minute.
- Add milk mixture in a stream, whisking constantly until combined well.
- Pour mixture into same saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats back of spoon and registers 175°F on thermometer (do not let boil).
- Immediately remove from heat and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl.
- Set bowl in a larger bowl of ice water and stir until cold, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in orange juice and remaining tablespoon zest and freeze in ice cream maker.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours.
Related Fruit Ice Cream